Computers have became one of the important factors which affect the human life of today, directly or indirectly. It is used in all the fields like research, education, entertainment etc. Many people know how to use it but unfortunately most of them do not know about the protection of computer hardware. Here, in this post, we are going to inform all our visitors and viewers about hardware security of computers. For the proper management of physical security of the computer system, we have to maintain:
- Size of Room: We are familiar with personal computers. They need small space which helps us to manage the personal computer settings. But the mainframe computers have big size and many terminals are connected to them. In addition to that, numerous peripherals and devices are connected which require a big space. The size of mainframe computer and accommodation differ according to the brand name and manufacturer. For example, ICL 2950/10 requires a room having size of about 1000 square feet. Data entry terminals may be connected in next room also. In case of minicomputer the size is small and the space required by it is 100 square feet. The terminals of minicomputers can be connected from next room with the help of cables to the main machine.
But, personal computers require small space, about a normal sized room, a table and a chair. The table size may be only 10 square feet. Some other factors are to be seen in the setup of computer, such as wall paintings, tubelights etc. The walls may be painted with white or pink colour and it is necessary to control dust and smoke. For the detection of smoke, it is better to fix a Smoke Detector. Wall-to-wall carpeting of Vinyl Asbestos is advisable since it protects from static charges of electricity. The room needs frequent cleaning with vacuum cleaner because no dust should be blown in the computer room.
- Ventilation and Light: The temperature of the room also plays a major role in the hardware security of computer. The room temperature should be maintained about 18oC to 24oC. The room temperature of microcomputers should not exceed more than 30oC. If the temperature is less than 18oC, the computer personnel may get affected or computer may get ceased to work. But recent computers are made more efficiently. They can work even between 0oC and 40oC.
The room should be very clean, bright and closed so that no dust enters into the room. Exhaust fans can be fixed for blowing dull and humid air out of the room. Installation of air conditioners to maintain the temperature and air circulation is advised. The light from fluorescent lamps should not reflect to the eyes of the users.
- Power Supply: Computer requires 220V to 240V power to work constantly. The voltage fluctuation may damage integrated circuits of computer chips because these are the most sensitive parts of the computer. The frequency of electric charges required is 49.5Hz to 50Hz. To prevent loss of data due to sudden interruption of electric power supply, some interface to the computer’s power supply is connected which is called Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). It gives the power that the computer requires till its safe shutdown. In case of Local Area Network (LAN), a UPS is a must. It is generally used in microcomputers these days. Voltage regulators and stabilizers are commonly used too.
- Furniture: The furniture required in each computer setup differs from office to office and management. However, the height of keyboard and the chair itself should not be more than 10 inches. The eyes of the user should be at the same level to the computer screen. Data entry task is taken as one of the most tedious tasks. The user involved in computer system has to go on looking on the monitor steadily. For the preventive methods, the height of computer, soft chair, good quality furniture to keep the disks and data etc. are essentially required.
- Computer Knowledge: It is recommended not to have a computer until the user does not have good knowledge about computer and its system. The user should know how to use and handle it. It is not advisable to keep computers packed for a long time. The computer should be checked regularly. A surge suppressor can be used to prevent from power surge which comes when the computer is put on at a time. The computer and other electrical devices are not to be connected from the same point. Computers are to be connected with voltage stabilizer to the main power supply point. These are the preventive methods for long life of computer and its hardware accessories.