An ideal age at marriage provides more opportunity for higher education, employment and social life for both man and women. Proper age at marriage presumes fuller growth of women in terms of physique. She is more mature physiologically, mentally and emotionally to understand and respond more effectively to the needs of a baby before and after delivery. Simultaneously, proper age at marriage helps to reduce the effective marital fertility span, better spacing in the birth and contribute to the reduction of fertility rates of the society. That is why; young couples and parents who want to marry their children should understand the advantages of proper age at marriage. Relating with the previous points, some advantages of age at marriage are given below:
Advantages of marriage at appropriate age for man and women
- There is an opportunity of getting education that will make them self-dependent.
- There will be an opportunity of learning income-generating skill. They will be able to stand well with an opportunity of developing personality.
- It will be easy for women to get employment or carry out income generating occupation, keep their health sound and perform their responsibility as successful women at their homes.
- A mother physically, mentally, morally and spiritually mature and healthy will bear a healthy child and it will be easy for her to rear and take care of the child.
- There will be a less danger for the mother’s and child’s health during delivery.
- The parents will have knowledge and awareness and they can plan happy future of their children as responsible parents.
- The parent will have knowledge for providing every member of family with nutritious and balanced diet to keep all of them healthy and smart. Both the husband and wife will be able to bring up the children.
Disadvantages of early marriage
If women are married early, they start to bear children from earlier age. There will be a probability of bearing more children. The size of family will be large and it will have a negative effect on quality of life. Early and continuous childbearing without interval will have various negative effects on child health. This will also have a negative effect on maternal and child health due to the lack of proper care. Quality education is also impossible. The skilled and capable manpower according to the demand of society cannot be prepared due to this reason. In this way, the early marriage will have the following disadvantages for men and women.
- There will be less opportunity of education.
- The couple will be bound by the responsibility of sustaining family by realizing the importance of child rights.
- The couples will have a difficulty in performing their responsibilities after marriage both physically and mentally and will face economic difficulty.
- The reproductive organs of women are not well developed.
- The size of uterus is small because it is not well developed.
- The child would have low weight and there will be a probability of high infant mortality rate.
- There is a possibility of miscarriage/abortion due to the immature and weak uterus.
- The baby may be born earlier. It will not be well developed both physically and mentally.
- The women will not get an opportunity of income-generating skill. Therefore, they have to depend on others to keep family health good.
- There will be a lack of proper knowledge about the reproductive process, family planning and natural and child health care.
- They will be physically weal due to the burden of children in few years.
- The family life may be unstable due to the marriage at earlier age.