Airborne diseases are the diseases which are caused due to the viruses present in the air. Common cold is a good example of airborne diseases. Common cold is easily and highly communicable disease as it can rapidly get transmitted from one person to another. Therefore, almost everybody gets affected by it. It is caused by Rhino virus. It affects nose, throat, chest and many other parts of our body. When the patient sneezes or coughs, the viruses are spread in the air through the droplets. When we inhale the contaminated air, we get infected by it. Similarly, the infected utensils, handkerchiefs etc. are the modes of transmission of this disease.
Symptoms of Common Cold
The symptoms of common cold are listed below:
- At first, irritation occurs in nose and throat.
- Nose and neck become dry and the patients coughs slightly.
- Watery nasal discharge occurs.
- Running nose occurs and smelling capacity is lost.
- The voice becomes hoarse and headache and fever occurs sometimes.
- Eyes become wet.
Preventive Measures of Common Cold
- Common use of handkerchief, towel and utensils used by the patient should be avoided. If it is not possible, they should be used by washing them with soap and water.
- Clothes should be worn according to the weather.
- Patient should use handkerchief while sneezing or coughing.
- Green vegetables should be eaten regularly.
- Patient should take enough liquid matter and s/he should take rest.
- Inhaling water-vapour is a homemade remedy for common cold.